Wednesday 23 March 2016

Celebrity crushes - in defence of daydreaming.

We've all been there; the moment you spot an actor, musician or artist and your stomach unexpectedly turns over, you break into an terribly embarrassing blush and you suddenly realise you're 13 years old all over again. You have a crush, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You can be happily coupled and have a celebrity crush. You can be single and have a celebrity crush. You can be anyone, in any situation, and still wake up to discover you fancy Daniel Radcliffe (who is 26 years old, by the way, and did that naked Equus thing among other things that aren't Harry Potter).

I reckon you think about crushes the way you think about cake or desserts you know you shouldn't have, but you do want, and eat anyway - maybe this is a bad analogy - and then you feel sickly and sugary but still rave to your friends and defend that fudge cake to the last...

Daydreaming is fine. It's not like I know where Daniel Kessler or Daniel Radcliffe live (although I'm pretty sure they're both in New York, but that's beside the point). Crushes provide a harmless moment of nonsense in an all-too serious world. They'll never replace the people you love.

For Tom

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I crush on both those Daniels too. Actually, I crush on all celebs. ((sigh)) I just got dumped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Suz. Virtual hugs to you! I recommend a YouTube party of all your favourite Daniel-related things.

      Delete

Your feedback is appreciated!