Friday 19 February 2016

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows - or maybe not.

Here is a little known fact for the day – you don’t have to be okay, all the time.
Surprised? Don’t worry, all will become clear. Put down that fake smile and come with me.

Lifestyle and beauty bloggers, to name but two kinds, often present an image of jovial perfection; a glossy haired, toothsome happiness surrounded by kittens and muffins and must-have eyeshadow palettes.

My presented image is the wonky thing we all see each day. I choose to talk about things that happen to me, or things I question, or just simply have the odd moan. You can still be productive in this way, but for this, I’ve come under fire from some people for being a misery. Or rather, sounding like a misery. I can absolutely assure you I’m quite alright, for the most part, and a lot of my angst is worn like an old overcoat; something I can slip on when the mood takes me.

Here is a short list of things I categorically love:
  • My boyfriend, family and friends. These are my favourite people. I think people are ace and my people are especially brilliant.
  • Toast. Yeah. Toast is incredible. Toast with jam, toast with almond butter, toast with coffee. All the baked goods, all the time.
  • Being healthy. Generally speaking, and touch wood, I am in rude health.
  • Puppies. Like WHOA. Hell yes, puppies. If there are cocker spaniel puppies near me, I’ll basically have a cute overload and melt.
I’m not going to tell you about the things I hate, because it would take too long, and frankly it would depress the hell out of all of us. But what I am saying is it’s okay to hate things, to question things, and it’s fine to be sad sometimes. You don’t need to face the world with a plastered on grin or have it all together. You can be covered in mud, trailing bits of twig in your laddered tights, sobbing deliriously into a Thermos flask filled with your own tears (if you like, or soup is good). Being alright isn’t mandatory, but it can be a small beam of sunlight into what can be a dreadful day. What I’m really saying is be you. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is appreciated!