Thursday 23 October 2014

A beginning

Is it possible to be defined by what we don't do?
Hello, I'm a writer; writing about not writing.

Trained print journalist, BA Hons, NCTJ PG-Dip and probably some other acronyms. GCSE.

I have had work published in print media, digital media, scribbled on envelopes and left behind on trains.
I have filled notebooks with encrypted stories, observations, snide remarks and poor illustrations.
I have an external hard-drive filled with maybe 25,000 words of a novel I am currently not writing.
I have also forgotten how to transcribe my own shorthand when it's been left for too long.

There are two projects I am currently not writing, because I am writing this; here and now.
There are dried up pens in every handbag I own, nestled among the old receipts, pennies and general bag detritus.

There are rituals, rites which must be performed before you can even think about starting to write.
Tea, armchair, lamp, your choice of distracting side projects; all of these and more must be ready before the true procrastination can begin.

This is intended as a short introduction to what I write about when I write about writing, and also what I write about when I am not writing that which I should be. Writing.

#writing #notwriting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is appreciated!